Federal Conservation Agencies and Programs
The Game and Fish Department's Private Land Open To Sportsmen program can also work in conjunction with many federal programs such as the Conservation Reserve Program.
Conservation Reserve Program
The Conservation Reserve Program is a federal conservation program. Find out more at the USDA Farm Services Agency website.
Game and Fish offers cost-share assistance and additional incentives if producers enroll their CRP into the Department’s Private Land Open To Sportsmen program to allow walk-in access for hunting.
New to the PLOTS program in 2013, Game and Fish will make arrangements with contractors to assist producers with land preparation, grass seeding and CRP management. This service is offered for producers who enroll CRP in PLOTS in Dickey, Ransom, Sargent, LaMoure, Burleigh, Emmons, McLean, Sheridan, Stark, Hettinger and Adams counties.
Producers should contact the county Farm Service Agency office, or the biologists listed at the bottom of this page, for more information about the opportunities with PLOTS. Information about PLOTS cost-share and grass seeding assistance can be viewed in the videos below.
Additional CRP Information
- The Grass Book 2013: Contacts and Information for Seeding and Managing your CRP and other Program Grasslands
Other Federal Programs
- USDA Farm Services Agency - Information about Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, Conservation Reserve Program and others.
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service - Information about Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program, Conservation Stewardship Program, Environmental Quality Incentives Program, Grassland Reserve Program, Wetland Reserve Program and others.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service North Dakota Partners for Wildlife - Technical and financial assistance available for wetland restoration, grass seed, fencing for rotational grazing, developing stock dams and other activities that enhance wildlife habitat on private lands.
Pheasants Forever Farm Bill Biologists
- Justin Edwards, Mandan – 701-667-1163 ext. 3 (Mercer, Morton, Oliver and other western counties)
- Jordan Croatt, Forman – 701-724-3247 ext. 114 (Sargent, Richland, Ransom, Dickey)
- Brandon Meyer, Devils Lake - 701-662-4088 (Benson, Nelson, Ramsey)
North Dakota Landowner-Sportsman Council Private Lands Hunting Signs
The North Dakota Landowner-Sportsman Council is an organization comprised of landowners and sportsmen's groups, state and federal agencies, businesses and individuals who are concerned about landowner-sportsman relations. The objective of the council is to promote good relations between landowners and sportsmen, respect for the rights of all landowners and the use of good outdoor manners. The council provides the “Ask Before You Enter” and “Walking Hunters Welcome” signs free of charge to landowners.